Rathtrevor takes its name from the Irish family who homesteaded on this land. William Rath, a gold prospector, arrived in 1886 with his young wife and baby daughter. They built a log cabin, cleared the land, and built the barn. William died in 1903, leaving Elizabeth the farm and five children. She proved to be an industrious person, successfully running the farm and eventually operating it as a campground.
The suffix 'trevor' was added to give the campground a more lyrical name. Rathtrevor Campground became Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park in 1967 and, though much has changed since William and Elizabeth first arrived, its beauty and importance will be preserved for our continued enjoyment.
Several species of wildlife can be seen in the park, including deer, raccoons, squirrels, otters, mink, eagles, osprey, hawks, vultures, and owls. Many shore and migratory birds also use the park area during their spring and fall migrations.
The most famous migratory shore birds are the Brant geese (Branta bernicla), who use the beaches of Rathtrevor and Craig Bay as staging and feeding areas during their spring migration to northern Canada and Alaska.