The Hudson Bay Company cut the first recorded trail up the Chilliwack River in 1855, improving the Indigenous Trail which joined the nine Indigenous villages between Vedder Crossing and Chilliwack Lake. Logging in the valley began early in the century, and by the 1920s developed into a considerable railroad logging operation.
In 1938, a massive fire was started by a rail accident which led to the line being abandoned and the transition to truck logging.
In 1942, the army base was established in Chilliwack. Sappers Park at the south end of Chilliwack Lake was built by a visiting British company of military engineers.
Flowers, trees, and shrubs are part of the park’s natural heritage. Please don’t damage or remove them.
Park users should always be aware of bears and other wildlife in our park environment. Never feed or approach bears or other wildlife.