Europeans first visited the area of the Stikine Country Protected Areas in 1824 and in the following year, the Hudson’s Bay Company and the Russian American Company claimed areas for trapping. The search for gold began in 1861, and by 1878 most of the Stikine River drainage had been explored. From 1896 to 1902, Andrew J. Stone conducted expeditions into the Cassiar to collect specimens for the American Museum of Natural History. With his announcements of the discovery of several “new” species of sheep and caribou, the area became a destination for hunters. Local natives worked as hunting guides and camps were set up throughout the region. Scientists began studying the significant wildlife values in the area in the 1950s and with the efforts of Tommy Walker, Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Park was designated in 1975.
The BCR railgrade that passes within 3km of the park was extended in the 1970’s to promote trade and resource development in the Cassiar region. The railway was not completed but the grade and a bridge across the Stikine were constructed and are used today by hikers, hunters and horseback riders.
Spatsizi Headwaters Park was designated by the Provincial Government in 2001 following recommendations on the Cassiar Iskut-Stikine Land and Resource Management Plan.
Spatsizi Headwaters Park lies within the asserted traditional territories of the Tahltan First Nations and Carrier Sekani Tribal Council. The park is in an area of significant spiritual value for the Tahltan First Nation.
Spatsizi Headwaters Park lies within the Eastern Skeena Mountains Ecosection and protects primarily an alpine area. Within the park upper elevational glacial lakes and alpine meadows are protected.
The park lies entirely within the Klappan Zone, an area deferred from harvesting for 15 years to observe how General Management Direction is addressing biodiversity, wildlife habitat, riparian ecosystems and recreation.