This area holds significant spiritual value to the Squamish First Nation, the first people to live in this area. They told of a two-headed sea serpent, Say-noth-ka, who lived in and around Howe Sound. According to legend, this beast travelled both on land and in water. Some versions say it was Say-noth-ka who formed Shannon Falls. By slithering and twisting his powerful body up the mountainside on repeated expeditions, Say-noth-ka gradually wore down a spillway for those cascading waters.
In 1792, Captain George Vancouver set up camp just west of the falls. The falls were named after the landowner who, between 1890 and 1900, used the area’s clay deposits to make bricks. The land was sold to Brittania Copper Mines in 1900. In the 1930s, the area was used as a relief camp for the workers building Highway 99. In 1976, the area was purchased by Carling O’Keefe Brewery, who used the pure mountain water to brew their beer, and made the area a logging show park. In 1982, O’Keefe donated the land to BC Parks. Throughout the park area, there is evidence of logging activity that occurred here roughly 90 years ago. A number of excellent springboard notches on old stumps are scattered throughout the forested area and much of the deadfall also exhibits evidence of the logging techniques of this period.