Established April 30, 1996 as a result of recommendations made in the Kamloops Land and Resource Management Plan.
An old Ministry of Forest lookout tower is located on the ridge. Historic pack-trail from Pass Lake to Porcupine Ridge was used by early surveyors. There is an 1828 Dominion Lands & Surveys marker on a rock beside the fire tower. Remnants of old Fruitlands Irrigation District trails are found around Carlo Lake.
Porcupine Meadows Park protects extensive subalpine wetlands and old-growth forests. These ecosystem features contribute special landscape representation significance within a system of six parks including Porcupine Meadows in the south and extending north through Tsintsunko, Bonaparte, High Lakes Basin, Emar Lakes and Taweel parks which, in combination, capture the biological diversity of the Northern Thompson Uplands Ecosection. The park is largely undisturbed and there is no cattle grazing.
This park contains wetlands important to many wildlife species, including sandhill cranes. These wetlands are also attractive summer habitat for moose and mule deer.