The Peace Arch is the world’s first monument to peace. Sam Hill, a prominent American businessman, conceived the idea of the Arch. Mr. Hill laid a hollow cornerstone within which he placed a hammered steel box made from the steel of a captured slave ship. Inside the box, he placed pieces of the Beaver and the Mayflower. The Arch was fitted with two iron gates, left open to symbolize peace between Canada and the United States. Peace Arch was dedicated in 1921. The lands around the Arch were gathered through donations and fundraising efforts. Two decades later, on November 7, 1939, the Peace Arch and surrounding lands on the Canadian side became Peace Arch Park.
This park features the historical Peace Arch with its engravings “Children of a Common Mother”, on the Washington side, and “Brethren Dwelling Together in Unity”, on the British Columbia side. Among other things, the park offers broad lawns, public areas, a lily pond, and a flower garden in the shape of the Canadian flag. Flowers, trees, and shrubs are part of the park’s natural heritage. Please do not damage or remove them.