Established December 14, 1938. Nickel Plate Lake has been the site of management activities by local rod and gun clubs and government agencies since the 1940’s. For many years it had been a popular fishing spot for residents of Hedley and nearby mining communities like Mascot.
The first recorded management activity was the introduction of a freshwater shrimp species in 1944 by the Nickel Plate Rod and Gun Club. Subsequent actions by the club, and overseen by a game warden, included an extensive program to introduce new species of aquatic vegetation in 1950.
In the surrounding forests, one can pick blueberries and other edible berries. Labrador tea, with its white blossoms and fuzzy, undersized leaves, can be found here. This plant was used by natives and early settlers to brew a relaxing drink.