An 1896 United States Army Corp of Engineers stone house that dates from the Canada and United States boundary dispute in the late 19th century is located on the south side of Manzanita Cove, near the mouth of the cove.
Manzanita Cove Conservancy encompasses a bay and surrounding upland and intertidal area where the Coast Tsimshian have strong cultural interests, including the desire to pursue their traditional activities as they have done for millennia, in a manner that sustains the biological diversity and natural values of the bay.
The area has been, and continues to be, an important source of natural resources for food, medicines, cultural materials, and economic goods.
To date, no known archaeological sites have been recorded in the conservancy. The lack of identified archaeological sites in Manzanita Cove is typical for the British Columbia north coast where few detailed archaeological assessments have been completed. Future archeological site inventories may yet identify additional cultural heritage and archaeological resources within the Manzanita Cove Conservancy.
Manzanita Cove Conservancy plays a role in preserving and maintaining cultural heritage values for ongoing social, ceremonial, economic and cultural uses by First Nations, and protecting the viewscape of the historic stone house.
Knowledge of the conservancy’s flora and fauna, especially ecosystems, ecological communities and species of conservation concern, is incomplete.
Marine wildlife species that have been recorded in or near the conservancy are: gray whales, harbour porpoises, humpback whales, killer whales, marbled murrelets, and pacific white-sided dolphins.