Mansons Landing is the sixth park designated in the northern Gulf Islands. It was established in 1974.
The park lies within the asserted traditional territory of First Nations. Early explorers included Galiano and Valdes, who named Cortes Island after Hernando Cortes, the conqueror of Mexico.
In 1880, Michael Manson, an immigrant from Scotland established a trading post in the present park area to trade with First Nations and provide supplies to a slowly developing logging and fishing industry. A small general store was built on the trading post site but was moved in 1995 to a site adjacent to the community centre. This site now functions as a museum.
The natural features of the park, including Hague Lake, the sand spit and the lagoon, add significantly to the natural integrity of the island community.
All salmon species are found offshore and Hague Lake contains some cutthroat trout. The lagoon provides opportunities to view oysters, clams, crabs, moon snails and nudibranchs. Dominant trees include Douglas fir, Western red cedar, Arbutus, shore pine, red alder and broadleaf maple.
Wildlife is transient and present only on occasion, the exceptions being red squirrels and ravens. Columbia blacktail deer, although not resident to the park are frequently seen.
General Wildlife, Marine & Outdoor Ethics Information