Skip to main content


Total number of campsites
Total boat-accessible sites: 47

A Desolation Sound backcountry registration is valid for overnight use in the Copeland Islands, Roscoe Bay and Malaspina Parks. The campsites are not reservable and function as first come, first served. Click here to view detailed information about the campgrounds.

The BC Parks backcountry permit registration service allows you to purchase a backcountry camping permit before leaving home. Although this does not reserve a campsite, it provides the convenience of prepaying for your trip and not having to carry cash. We encourage all visitors to register online so we can reduce the need to collect fees in the field.  If the online system is not available to you then you can pay with cash at Okeover Arm Park or Lund Harbour. Look for the registration information at the BC Parks kiosks.

Marine-accessible camping

There are 11 designated campgrounds [PDF] throughout Desolation Sound, the Copeland Islands, and Malaspina Marine Parks. There is an average of nine tent pads at each campground.

Details about these campgrounds including campground maps, access descriptions, facilities and features, are available here. These campsites function as first come, first served.

Please note:

  • Camping is only permitted in designated campsites.
  • Campers must use tent pads, please prevent erosion by placing tents, and other equipment on the tent pads.
  • Campsites are available on a first come, first served basis. Please do not hold sites for other parties.
  • These parks protect very sensitive ecosystems. Please stay on designated routes to avoid causing damage.
  • Campfires are not permitted throughout the marine parks. Observe posted signs.
  • Fees are collected from June 1 to September 15.
  • Backcountry camping fee is $5 per person per night (age 6+)

Okeover Arm Park is located next to the Okeover Harbour Government Dock. There are 21 vehicle access campsites at Okeover Arm Park. Many people will camp and get an early start the next day to explore the Desolation Sound Parks. There is a campground attendant at Okeover Arm Park. Please keep in mind that there is a separate fee to camp there and it is not on the backcountry registration system.

Pit or flush toilets

Pit toilets are located at Grace Harbor, Tenedos Bay, Curme Islands, Bold Head, Hare Point, Feather Cove, Copeland Islands, and Melanie Cove. There are no flush toilets.

Many of the outhouses throughout Desolation Sound are an open-air-privy design which is a cost effective way of providing a sanitary camping experience. Be sure to bring your own toilet paper.

Please note that all outhouses in Desolation Sound have above ground pump out tanks. Due to the shallow soils and potential for exposing cultural features buried in the ground, digging traditional outhouse holes is not possible. Please do not put garbage in the outhouse tanks. It is for human waste only.

Expand all

There is a short hiking trail to Unwin Lake from Tenedos Bay. This is an easy 10 minute walk one way. For your safety and the preservation of the park, obey posted signs and keep to designated trails. Shortcutting trails destroys plant life and soil structure.


There are no designated swimming areas in the park. Fresh water swimming is available at Unwin Lake which is a 10 minute walk from Tenedoes Bay. Please do not use soaps or shampoos in the Unwin Lake or the creek that flows into Tenedoes Bay. There are no lifeguards on duty.


This is a very popular kayaking destination with numerous guided kayak tours available. Several kayak rentals can be found near Powell River and Lund. All guided visitors are required to pay overnight camping fees, in addition to any guiding fees. Please discuss with your guide outfitter prior to your trip.

Most kayaker and boaters launch their vessels from either Lund Harbor or Okeover Harbor Government Dock which is located next to Okeover Arm Park


There are several fishing opportunities in this park including both saltwater and freshwater fishing.  Salmon, rockfish, oysters, prawns, cod and snapper are in the area. 

The Department Of Fisheries routinely monitors the level of marine biotoxins, bacteria and other harmful contaminants. They will also close bivalve shellfish areas when levels of these substances exceed safe limits. When an area is officially closed, it is illegal and unsafe to harvest in that area. Areas that have been assessed and deemed contaminated are posted with signs indicating the area is closed. It is your responsibility to find out if an area is closed to shellfish harvesting. Please refer to the Fishing and Shellfish Harvesting page (BC Centre for Disease Control).

Desolation Sound and Copland Island Marine Parks are within Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCAs). Hook and line fishing is not permitted and fishing activities are limited in these areas. Before you go fishing please refer to the Rockfish Conservation Area descriptions available from Fisheries and Oceans Canada DFO. Anyone fishing or angling in British Columbia must have an appropriate licence

Pets on leash

Pets and domestic animals must be on a leash at all times and are not allowed in beach areas or park buildings. You are responsible for their behaviour and must dispose of their excrement. 

Scuba diving
There are scuba diving and snorkelling opportunities in the park but there are no facilities available. Divers must be self-sufficient.