Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park is a small park centred around the site of the original Cariboo Wagon Road bridge over the Fraser River. The park was established in 1984. It provides both a rest stop and picnic facilities for travelers. This site has been a natural stop-over and crossing of the Fraser River since the area was first populated. Because of its small size there are limited recreational opportunities within this park. You can access the historic bridge from a trail through the day-use area.
Fish passing through this area to tributaries of the Fraser include pink, chum, spring, coho and sockeye. Anyone fishing or angling in British Columbia must have an appropriate licence.
Bicycles must keep to roadways. Bicycle helmets are mandatory in British Columbia.
Please note that bicycles with electric assist motors (e-bikes) are not allowed on the trails within Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park. E-bikes are restricted to park roads and areas where motorized use is permitted. The only exception to this policy will be for authorized and identified trail maintenance bikes conducting work on behalf of BC Parks.
Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park is situated adjacent to the Fraser River approximately two kilometres north of Spuzzum and 40 km north of Hope. Access is available from both north and south bound lanes off the Trans Canada Highway.
This park proudly operated by:
Shuswap Adams Parks Ltd.
Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park was established in 1984 because of its inherent natural, historical and recreational attributes. The area has been used and inhabited by First Nations for over 9,500 years. The first European visit did not occur until Simon Fraser’s expedition passed through the region in 1808.
The first permanent trail, the Anderson Brigade trail, was then established in 1848 and subsequently, the original bridge was constructed in 1861 by Joseph W. Trutch and named after Princess Alexandra of Wales. To recover the $45,000 construction cost for the 90 metre bridge, a toll of $7.40 per ton was charged. Today a second bridge, built in 1926, sits on the site of the original which was dismantled in 1912.
Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park and other areas along the Fraser River were traditional fishing grounds for the Halkomelum (Stalo) and Lower Thompson First Nations. The local native bands still use this area for traditional fishing.
The landscape is characterized by major low elevation valleys and the densely forested mountain slopes of a wet climate. Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park sits at the eastern border of the Western Hemlock forest subzone. As such, it contains many western hemlock, western red cedar and Douglas-fir. Rising steeply on the east bank of the Fraser River, the site contains two well-defined glacio-fluvial benches.
The Fraser River is the largest fish producing water course in the province. Because of this, millions of spring, coho, chum, pink and sockeye salmon pass through the park on their way to spawning grounds every year.
BC Parks honours Indigenous Peoples’ connection to the land and respects the importance of their diverse teachings, traditions, and practices within these territories. This park webpage may not adequately represent the full history of this park and the connection of Indigenous Peoples to this land. We are working in partnership with Indigenous Peoples to update our websites so that they better reflect the history and cultures of these special places.