Important News and Updates
- August 16, 2019 BC Parks restoration helping rare butterfly species
- When Erica McClaren looks at the coastal landscape of Helliwell Provincial Park, she feels hopeful a rare species of butterfly will return to its former home.
- August 9, 2019 Scientists monitoring impacts of climate change on wetlands
- In the heart of the Robson Valley, skirting the western edge of the Rocky Mountains, a diverse range of habitat has captured the attention of scientists studying wetlands and climate change.
- July 27, 2019 Citizen scientists help BC Parks monitor western toad migrations
- SQUAMISH — On a calm morning in mid July, Rachel Shephard slides into a kayak and slowly starts paddling around the perimeter of Fawn Lake. Keeping a camera and notebook within reach, Shepardô€›s eyes are glued to the water, searching for any signs of western toad tadpoles.
- July 23, 2019 Minster signs agreement to work towards a national park reserve in South Okanagan-Similkameen
On July 2, 2019, the Honourable George Heyman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy, signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Government of Canada and the Syilx/Okanagan Nation regarding the potential establishment of a national park reserve in the South Okanagan-Similkameen. The Memorandum of Understanding sets out a working boundary, outlines next steps in the process and provides a framework for collaboration amongst the Parties to initiate the negotiation of an agreement to establish a national park reserve.
The working boundary of the proposed national park reserve encompasses approximately 273 square kilometres (27,300 hectares) of natural and cultural landscapes in the Mt. Kobau, Spotted Lake and Kilpoola areas of the South Okanagan-Similkameen area, and includes all of BC Parksâ€™ South Okanagan Grasslands Protected Area.
More information on the Memorandum of Understanding and the proposed national park reserve can be found on the Letâ€™s Talk Okanaganâ€“Similkameen website.
- June 28, 2019 New features coming to Discover Camping reservation system
- New features are coming to the Discover Camping reservation system that will enhance the booking experience when reserving a campsite in BC Parks.