Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park is an unspoiled wilderness on B.C.’s border with Alberta, south of Banff and west of Calgary. The park is famed for its spectacular alpine meadows, lakes, glaciers, and peaks.
Magog Lake and Og Lake, the park’s core areas, are extremely popular camping destinations. Due to increasing demand, reservations are required for all overnight stays at Magog Lake and Og Lake campgrounds.
This page provides detailed information on making a camping reservation for Magog Lake or Og Lake. Look here to learn about:
- Making a reservation
- Paying for your reservation
- Changing or cancelling your reservation
- Checking in at a campground
Additional campsites are available throughout the park. These offer a mix of reservable and first come, first served camping. For information on campsites not in the Magog Lake and Og Lake areas, see non-core areas, below.
Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park visitors are expected to follow Leave No Trace wilderness ethics. For more information, see our backcountry guide.
Making a reservation
- Camping reservations are required for Magog Lake and Og Lake campgrounds year round
- Anyone over 16 years of age can make a camping reservation via camping.bcparks.ca
- Reservations can also be made by calling 1-800-689-9025 toll free from Canada and the US or 1-519-858-6161 internationally
- A reservation can be booked in full up to four months before your desired arrival date
- You can make your reservation starting at 7am Pacific Time on the first day of this booking period
Example: If you want to arrive on July 25 and stay four nights, you can reserve all four nights starting at 7am PT on March 25
- You can make a reservation up until 5pm Pacific Time on your scheduled arrival date, if places are available
Example: If you want to arrive on July 25 and stay for four nights, you can book all four nights up until 5pm on July 25
- Reservations cannot be transferred or sold to another party, and any attempt to do so will lead to cancellation, without refund
- You cannot self-register or make a reservation at the park and cash payments are not accepted at the park
- When booking your reservation, you must specify the ‘named occupant’ who will be your official reservation holder
- This named occupant can be yourself or another person, but they must be present when your party arrives and throughout your stay
If the named occupant cannot be present throughout your stay, your reservation must be rebooked with an occupant who can be present. The named occupant may be asked to show ID during your stay to keep your reservation valid.
Camping party sizes and rules
- Camping within the Magog Lake and Og Lake campgrounds is allowed only on designated tents pads
- There are 40 tent pads available at the Magog Lake campground and 10 pads available at Og Lake
- Tent pads are a maximum of three square-meters and hold up to two tents and four people in total
- You can reserve up to three tent pads at one time, for a maximum total camping party of 12 people
For more information on relevant reservation policies, see the backcountry camping reservations page.
All fees must be paid in full when you make your reservation. There are two types of fees:
- Camping fees, which pay for your campsite and other amenities
- Transaction fees, which help us maintain the reservation service
|Camping fees||• $10 per night for each adult (16+) |
• $5 per night for each child (6-15)
• Free for younger children (under 6)
|Transaction fees||• $6 per tent pad, per night |
• Maximum of $18, per tent pad
Tax is included in camping fees, but tax is added to transaction fees. If you change or cancel your reservation, there will be additional charges (see changes and cancellations, below).
For more information on camping fees and transaction fees, see the camping fees page.
Changes and cancellations
- You can change or cancel your reservation via camping.bcparks.ca or by calling 1-800-689-9025 (1-519-858-6161 internationally)
- There is a $6 transaction fee per tent pad for any cancellations or changes to your reservation
- If you cancel your reservation, eligible camping fees will be refunded (subject to our cancellation policies)
- If you cancel within seven days of your scheduled arrival date, one night’s camping fee will be deducted from your refund
- If you cancel on your scheduled arrival date, two nights’ camping fees will be deducted from your refund
- Transaction fees, including change and cancellation fees, cannot be refunded
For detailed information on change and cancellation policies, see the cancellations and refunds page.
- Making a reservation guarantees you a spot but the reservation service does not assign you a specific tent pad
- You select your tent pad or pads when you arrive at the campground, on a first come, first served basis
- Check-in is after 1pm on your arrival date and check-out is before noon on your departure date
- Bring two copies of your confirmation email with you; keep one with you at all times and fix the other to your tent or campsite post
- Your reservation is held until noon the day following your scheduled arrival, after which it must be cancelled without refund
For more information on checking in at a backcountry campground, see the backcountry camping reservations page.
Several non-core areas in Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park also offer campsites that can be booked in advance through Assiniboine Lodge, including:
- Naiset Huts
- Hind Hut
- O’Brien Meadows Campground
Camping reservations for these areas cannot be made through the BC Parks reservation service. To make a reservation, either:
- Visit the Assiniboine Lodge website
- Email the park operator at email@example.com
- Call 1-403-678-2883
Other non-core areas offer year-round camping on a first come, first served basis, with no reservations or fees required. These include:
- Surprise Creek Cabin and Campground
- Rock Lake Campground
- Mitchell Meadows Campground
- Mitchell River Cabin
- Police Meadows Cabin