On This Page
Park ContactThis park proudly operated by:
Shuswap Adams Parks Ltd.
Steelhead Provincial Park
About This Park
A convenient overnight camping and picnicking spot for travelers on Highway #1, this is also a popular destination camp for visitors enjoying boating and fishing on Kamloops Lake, at the head of the Thompson River.
The park offers 240 metres of beach on the lake and 1,000 metres of frontage along the river. The Savona community offers the amenities of a small town.
Know Before You Go
- The extremely hot, dry climate can result in over-exposure to the sun. Everyone in your party should wear sunscreen of at least SPF 15 and a hat with a brim.
- Caution should be exercised when swimming or boating due to currents at the end of the beach where the lake drains into the river mouth.
- A public pay telephone is located at the residence/shower building.
Location and Maps
Nature and Culture
- History: The park was established in 1995. It is the site of one of the oldest homesteads in the southern interior and well as a stagecoach depot and ferry landing. The historic buildings and cemetery are still located on site. As a former private campground, the park has electrical and water hook-ups that are not common in provincial parks.
- Cultural Heritage: First Nations have been very involved in protection and interpretation of heritage sites and artifacts found within the park. The site relates to First Nations fishing dating back to 10,000 years ago.
- Conservation: Vegetation is fragile due to the hot, dry climate. Sagebrush, prickly pear cactus and bunchgrasses prevail. Pink salmon spawn at the river mouth. The largest section of the park is on the south side of Highway #1 and is established as a natural environment zone.
- Management Planning Information
Steelhead Provincial Park Management Plan [PDF]A
This is not the original management planning product. This document has been scanned from the original format of the plan. It may contain some formatting changes, however the content is consistent with the original.
Activities Available at this Park
Pets on Leash
Facilities Available at this Park
Pit or Flush Toilets
Vehicle Accessible Camping
Steelhead offers 44 campsites on a first-come, first-served basis – no reservations are accepted. There are 22 campsites that overlook the lake and 10 of these are supplied with water and power hook-ups. There are three sites that overlook the river, 12 informal sites are located in a field and are roomy enough for large vehicles to pull through and five side-by-side sites exist as a parking-lot style overflow. There are very few trees in the campground and most sites are side by side, similar to an RV campground. Sites will accommodate small to large camping units. If there are no staff at the campground upon arrival, choose a site and pay later. Staff will be at the campground at least once a day. The gates at Steelhead are not locked at night. Amenities are found in Savona, a two-minute drive from the campground.