On This Page
Beatton River Provincial Park
About This Park
Beatton River Provincial Park protects rich riparian habitat at the confluence of the Beatton and Peace Rivers. Visitors to the area can best access the park by boat.
Enjoy a picnic, watch wildlife or relax on the river’s edge and appreciate the surrounding scenic views.
Established Date: June 29, 2000
Park Size: 186 hectares
Know Before You Go
- Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs) are prohibited in this park. ORVs include ATVs, off-road motorcycles, snowmobiles and side-by-sides.
- This is a user-maintained site. Please work with BC Parks to help manage this important riparian ecosystem by practicing leave-no trace principles and reporting any park violations or ecological damage to BC Parks in Fort St John at 250-787-3411.
Location and Maps
Nature and Culture
- History: Historic site of Fort D’Epinette. The North West Company established the fort in 1806. The fort was originally called the Fort of St. John and was changed to Fort D'Epinette when the Hudson’s Bay Company amalgamated with the North West Company in 1821.
- Conservation: Old growth cottonwood with mixed stands of spruce and aspen dominate the area. Lush riparian shrub growth lines the edge of the waterways.
- Wildlife: Moose, mule deer, white-tailed deer and black bear frequent the area. Waterfowl including ducks and Canada geese are also common. Keep a sharp eye out for bald eagles, as they nest in several locations within the Peace Canyon. Numerous fish species reside in both the Beatton and Peace Rivers. A list of species includes: Arctic grayling; brook stickleback; burbot; flathead; chub; goldeye; lake chub; largescale sucker; longnose dace; longnose sucker; mountain whitefish; northern pike; northern redbelly dace; prickly sculpin; redside shiner; slimy sculpin; spoonhead sculpin; spottail shiner; stickleback (general); troutperch; walleye; white sucker.