Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park


Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park was established in 1984 because of its inherent natural, historical and recreational attributes. The area has been used and inhabited by First Nations for over 9,500 years. The first European visit did not occur until Simon Fraser’s expedition passed through the region in 1808. The first permanent trail, the Anderson Brigade trail, was then established in 1848 and subsequently, the original bridge was constructed in 1861 by Joseph W. Trutch and named after Princess Alexandra of Wales. To recover the $45,000 construction cost for the 90 metre bridge, a toll of $7.40 per ton was charged. Today a second bridge, built in 1926, sits on the site of the original which was dismantled in 1912.

Cultural Heritage

Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park and other areas along the Fraser River were traditional fishing grounds for the Halkomelum (Stalo) and Lower Thompson First Nations. The local native bands still use this area for traditional fishing.


The landscape is characterized by major low elevation valleys and the densely forested mountain slopes of a wet climate. Alexandra Bridge Provincial Park sits at the eastern border of the Western Hemlock forest subzone. As such, it contains many western hemlock, western red cedar and Douglas-fir. Rising steeply on the east bank of the Fraser River, the site contains two well-defined glacio-fluvial benches.


The Fraser River is the largest fish producing water course in the province. Because of this, millions of spring, coho, chum, pink and sockeye salmon pass through the park on their way to spawning grounds every year.